Interesting facts:

The UAE second export category after crude oil is aluminum. Full version

Overview of the Etisalat Telecommunication Company

Article image: Overview of the Etisalat Telecommunication Company

Etisalat is one of the world's largest mobile operators (13th place in the ranking) and the leader in the field of telecommunications services in the United Arab Emirates. As of current, the number of Etisalat subscribers has exceeded 167 million. Up until 2006, the company was the only mobile operator in the UAE.

General Information about Etisalat

The headquarters of the mobile operator is located in Abu Dhabi. Representative offices of Etisalat are located in London, Paris, New York, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Singapore. The company offices are easily known by a giant ball, which is usually located on the roof of the buildings.

Etisalat provides its customers with a wide range of services including voice and data services over the fixed and mobile networks. The company provides services for the residents of 18 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

Etisalat's mission is to extend people's reach. The main competitor of this telecommunication company is a “du” mobile operator whose share in the local market amounts to 37%.

As of 31 December 2015, the total income of the operator amounted to $14.08 billion, and a net profit — $2.26 billion. The total market capitalization amounted to $44.9 billion.

Etisalat’s area codes: 50, 56.

The History of the Company

The Etisalat telecommunication corporation was founded in 1976 by the British company International Aeradio Limited and its local partners. The ownership structure was changed in 1983 when the UAE Government received 60% of the company's shares and the remaining 40% were sold at public auction

In 1991, the Government of the UAE passed a law that enabled corporation to provide wired and wireless telecommunications services in the UAE and other countries. In fact, it made it possible for Etisalat to become a giant monopolist in the telecommunications market of the United Arab Emirates.

In 1994, the company launched the first GSM service in the Middle East, and a year later it was the first company to provide Internet services throughout the UAE.

In 2002, the number of subscribers reached 2 million. In the same year, the company provided its users with GPRS. Just two years later, Etisalat has launched the first 3G network in the Middle East.

In 2010, the company announced the adoption of fiber-optic networks and the launch of 3DTV. At that time, such services were provided only in 4 countries worldwide.

Since November 2012, Etisalat has been providing its subscribers with a per second billing. The cost of 1 second amounts to 0,005 AED.

Today Etisalat ranks 140th in the world (according to the Financial Times Global 500 ranking) in terms of market capitalization and holds 6th position on the Middle East market in terms of income.

comments powered by Disqus

More articles from "Dubai & UAE business news":