Article image: Preparation for a move to the UAE

Interesting facts:

The most suitable and promising jurisdiction for opening an IT company is the Internet City in Dubai, UAE. Full version

If you have decided to move to the United Arab Emirates to get higher education in one of the prestigious universities in the country, work or carry on your business in this country - the main point is to get properly prepared for the move to avoid unpleasant surprises.

The stages of preparation to move to the UAE

1. Obtaining a residence visa (residence permit)

The availability of the residence visa is the basic requirement for obtaining a residence permit.

Be careful! There is an important distinction between the residence permit and an ordinary long-term visa. A long-term visa entitles its owner to stay in the UAE for 60 days. For further stay in the UAE, you need to apply for a residence permit.

There are two types of residence permit: with the work permit and the one without it. The second type is issued to students and family members who move to the UAE for employment or business purposes.

Strict laws of the UAE do not provide permanent residence. Thus, the government protects the high standard of living in the state from undesirable strangers.

2. Legalization of documents

In the United Arab Emirates it is required to undergo formal, but obligatory procedure to make documents legal – without legalization they are do not have validity in the country.

The following documents should be legalized:

  • A marriage certificate;
  • Birth certificate (for children);
  • Power of attorney (if any);
  • Documents about education;
  • A certificate of good conduct;
  • Other documents that may be required depending on your activity (e.g. agency agreements, contracts, parent company registration documents (if you are planning to open its branch office in the UAE).

You do not need to legalize the following documents: employment record book, driving license, ID cards (internal and international), and military ID. If necessary, it will be sufficient to provide their certified translation.

Since the UAE is not a signatory to the Hague Convention, here legalization body is the consular. It means that first you need to legalize the documents in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the document’s issuing country, and then translate them into English and Arabic with notarial certification, and after that legalize them in the Consulate and MOFA of the UAE.

If you have no time or wish, legalization of documents for moving to the UAE can be trusted to specialized companies.

3. Domestic issues

Having solved all the formalities, you must also think where you will live in the United Arab Emirates. During first days on arrival you can stay in a hotel until you find a suitable option for rent. Rental prices fluctuate depending on the city and the district.

If you are moving with your family, in addition to housing you should also consider the school for your children.

And, of course, it is important to prepare for the move morally, because the UAE is a Muslim country with its own rules and customs.

Enjoy your move to the United Arab Emirates!

  • Comments

More articles from "UAE other news":